The Picasso Museum Malaga is located at the Palacio de Buenavista, former headquarters of the Malaga Museum of Fine Arts and is a magnificent example of Andalusian architecture of the 16th century, a Renaissance building with Mudejar elements and other modern architecture.
Brief history of the Picasso Museum Malaga.
The Museo Picasso Málaga was inaugurated in October 2003, settling a debt owed by the city to the Malaga genius.
It is the most visited museum in Andalusia and therefore the most visited and popular site in the entire city. A reference for art lovers.
It consists of 11 rooms, housing 233 works, which take a tour through 80 years of work by the painter from Malaga, from 1892 to 1972.
The subsoil of the Palacio de Buenavista houses an important testimony of the roots of the city. Exceptional Phoenician and Roman remains, as well as rooms from the old Renaissance palace, show the visitor fragments of Malaga’s history.
* Important note: the famous Guernica is not in Picasso Museum Malaga, it´s located at Reina Sofía Museum in Madrid.
Discover the 10 best museums in Malaga.
Opening hours, price and tickets for the Picasso Museum in Malaga.
- Address: Palacio de Buenavista, Calle San Agustín, 8, 29015 Málaga.
- Official website: http://www.museopicassomalaga.org/
Opening hours of Picasso Museum Malaga
- September-October: daily from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- November-February: daily from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- March to June: daily from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- July-August: daily from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Free admission to the Picasso Museum Malaga is on Sundays during the last two opening hours.
Special opening hours of the Picasso Malaga Museum.
- Christmas: December 24 and 31 and January 5: from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- December 25, January 1 and January 6: closed
The Picasso museum houses temporary collections that can be consulted on the Picasso Museum Malaga website for more information.
Entrance and Price of the Picasso Malaga Museum.
- General admission to the permanent collection: €9,5.
- Reduced: €7
- Over 65s, Euro Youth Card holders and accredited students under 26
To avoid queues, you can buy tickets to the Museo Picasso Málaga online by accessing the following link on the museum’s website.
Free entry to the Picasso Malaga Museum.
Accredited disabled people, unemployed registered in the SEPE, minors up to and including 16 years of age (under 13 years of age accompanied by an adult), students of the University of Malaga with a card, accredited teachers, members of ICOM.
- February-28th: Day of Andalusia.
- International Museum Day (May 18th).
- World Tourism Day (September 27th).
Free entry to the Picasso Malaga museum every Sunday during the last two hours of opening (ticket offices close half an hour before)
The acquisition of the ticket includes an audio guide service in ten languages for the Permanent Collection (Spanish, English, German, Arabic, Chinese, French, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese and Russian) and in two for the temporary exhibitions (Spanish and English) . In cases where admission is free, this service will cost €1.
Good to know before the visit
- For security reasons, you will not be able to access the Museum with backpacks, bags or any object that does not pass through the scanner or is sharp (umbrella, selfie stick etc.) as it is considered dangerous for the works of art
- It is not allowed to enter the Museum with food or drink or to smoke inside the Museum
- Animals are not allowed, except guide dogs
- During the visit it is not allowed to take photographs in the rooms and in unauthorized areas.