The opening of the CAC Malaga has created new possibilities in the cultural field of southern Spain, managing to become an international artistic benchmark.
The CAC Malaga museum is also a novelty in Spain by combining the modes of management of the private company with the ideals and objectives of the public sphere.
As they define on their website:
The CAC Malaga is the emblem of the Malaga City Council’s commitment to contemporary art, which aims to spread plastic and visual arts from the last third of the 20th century to the present.
Brief history of CAC Malaga.
Inaugurated in 2003, the CAC Malaga, Contemporary Art Center Malaga, is located in the old Malaga Wholesale Market (in use until 1983).
From its beginnings it had a marked international vocation, intending to become one of the reference centers on the European circuit of contemporary art.
Around the CAC you can find several of the most important murals in the area, such as those by Obey and D*Face, located at the back of the Center for Contemporary Art.
- The old Wholesale Market is a historic building designed in 1927 by Luis Gutiérrez de Soto, author of the 1930 Barajas airport.
- Built in 1939, it is a triangular-shaped building, with two floors and defined by cubic spaces and straight lines.
- In 1983 its use as a market was abandoned. In 1987 the file to be declared an Asset of Cultural Interest began.
- It is in February 2003 when, once the reform is finished, it opens to the public.
You can take a tour of the artistic trends of the 20th century, with a special focus on the last decades, from the 1950s to the present with a permanent collection and temporary exhibitions.
Also you can enjoy publications, conferences, educational programmes, workshops or seminars are also held.
Nowadays the CAC Málaga is a living centre, a dynamic, innovative place open to all kinds of artistic and cultural proposals of the international avant-garde.
Discover another 5 museums in Malaga with free admission.
Opening hours, price and tickets.
- Address of CAC Málaga: Calle Alemania, 2. 29001 Málaga
- Official website: http://cacmalaga.eu
Recommended hygiene measures for museums in Malaga:
- Mask must be worn.
- There are hydroalcoholic gel dispensers freely available.
- The limited capacity in the exhibition halls is conveniently marked.
- Respect the interpersonal distance of 2 meters.
CAC Malaga opening hours.
- From Tuesday to Sunday: 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Open all holidays, except December 25 and January 1.
Price of CAC Malaga.
- Free entry to CAC Malaga every day.