Málaga-Costa del Sol airport, also known as Pablo Picasso Airport, is located eight kilometers southwest of the capital and within its municipality. It is the most important airport in Andalucía, occupying the fourth place among Spanish airports and is perfectly connected to the city center and its surroundings.
These are the public transportation options available:
A) Urban bus (Line A Express Airport).
It connects the airport with the center of Malaga in just 15 minutes.
- Price: € 3. You pay by cash on the bus.
- Destination Airport: from 6.25 to 23.30 hours.
- Destination city center: from 7.00 to 0.00 hours.
- Frequency: 30 minutes.
- Stop: Terminal T3. Floor 0. Arrivals. Front transport exchanger.
B) Suburban train. (Cercanías)
Line C1 of Renfe Cercanías connects the T3 of the airport with the center of the capital and with Fuengirola, Benalmádena, Torremolinos.
- Airport and Torremolinos: 1,70 €.
- Benalmádena: 1,95 €.
- Fuengirola: 2,60 €.
- Destination Airport : de 6.20 a 23.20 horas.
- Destination Fuengirola: de 5.42 a 22.42 horas.
- Frecuency: 20 minutos.
- Travel time from airport.
- Fuengirola: 34 minutes.
- Benalmádena: 18 minutes.
- Torremolinos: 10 minutes.
- Málaga María Zambrano (AVE): 8 minutes.
- Málaga city centre: 12 minutes.
- Stop: Terminal T3.
C) Long-distance buses.
- From the airport we can go to Algeciras, Motril, Seville and Granada.
- For the trip to Motril, Seville or Granada, consult the website of Alsa.
Line Algeciras-Airport (Avanzabus).
- Price: 19,80€
- Destination Airport: 7.00 y 14.15.
- Destination Algeciras: 11.30 y 18.50.
- Travel time: 1 hour y 55 minutes.
- Stop: Terminal T3. Floor 0. Arrival.
D) Other options: taxi, car.
In addition to public transport, you can take a taxi or rent a car. The approximate taxi fare to the center of Malaga is around € 20-22, perhaps interesting if we travel in a group and with lots of luggage.
For more details on these options, I recommend consulting the website of the Malaga airport on transport.